AMP or the Accelerated Mobile pages project is very recent and many might be actually unknown of this concept. So, this article contains a detail Accelerated Mobile pages tutorial so that you can have a better idea on it.
What is this AMP?
AMP is nothing but an open source initiative by Google through which the publishers are provided enough opportunity to create mobile optimized content which can be loaded instantly everywhere.
Do you remember that when a Google search is performed in the mobile platform, some search results are appeared in carousel? Actually that content is AMP. Yes, what happens in AMP is the content of the headlines gets loaded in the background and as soon as someone clicks on that headline for reading it, the content opens instantly as it is already being loaded in the background. So, these pages are usually enough faster than the standard pages.
Reasons why this Accelerated Mobile pages are much faster usually 85% than the standard pages is it is the striped down version of mobile web which make uses of another HTML version called as AMP HTML that loads much quickly than the non-AMP version. This high speed of AMP is mainly achieved by two ways:
- By streamlining the website code that is, it eliminate the Javscript and other third party elements.
- And the AMP pages are being served from its own high performing global servers.
Also, why the standard mobile pages are enough slow because viewing a mobile page is very similar to that of the viewing a page in the web in desktop that should pull down all the information such as images, content, carousels, ad tracking and more from different hosts while all these stuff are really necessary but unfortunately the processing power of mobile device is not that strong to retrieve them quickly which normally makes the mobile standard pages much slower than the responsive or AMP pages.
It is explained in more details that how actually this AMP work to make the pages faster.
How AMP works?
AMP consists of three basic elements normally framework that creates the mobile web pages.
- AMP HTML: AMP HTMP is the subset of HTML having some custom tags, properties and various restrictions. If you are much familiar with the HTML, then going ahead with this AMP HTML will not be an issue for you.
- AMP CDN: The content delivery network is optional in AMP that takes the AMP pages to cache them so that some of their performances are optimized automatically to make the pages even much faster.
Why use AMP?
AMP comes with numerous benefits, however the main advantages are outlined here.
- Fast loading page is of course the main advantage of using AMP pages. We already mentioned above that AMP pages are normally 15-85% faster than the standard pages.
- Another thing to mention is the enhanced ranking in search engine. Yes, the page load speed is greatly linked with the ranking in search engine and the faster loading page ensure AMP pages will be ranked higher than the standard mobile pages.
- The AMP content is shown in the carousels which consist of large images to draw more of the customer’s attention that automatically enhance the click through rate.
- The online marketing is highly benefitted through the use of AMP as faster loading page, more click through rate etc. all these contribute to the bottom line of the company, so ultimately the main goal of company, revenue generation is finally achieved by employing AMP enabled pages.
Pros and cons of using Accelerated mobile pages
This Accelerated Mobile pages tutorial will provide you with all the details so that you can have a detail idea about what this is and how users as well as publishers can be benefitted from it. However, it is must to mention that everything comes with some flaws also and AMP page is not an exception to that. So, all the pros and cons of AMP pages are discussed here.
- The first thing to mention is that this AMP is an open source initiative which is not just limited to the Google’s engineer rather the evolution is accessible to all.
- AMP pages is much faster around 85% while it also uses 8 times less data which all together can highly satisfies the visitors. So, better user experience is another thing to mention in the pros list.
- SEO advantage is another thing to be received from it.
- It stops users from bloating pages containing large CSS and JS framework.
- As the page loads faster so it contributes to lower bounce rate and thus ultimately improve the bottle line of the company.
- The AMP contents are loaded first then the ads.
- Uses of CDN along with AMP enabled page allow you to optimize the performance even more.
- Analytics tag can be added to the AMP pages and then the publishers can send the analytics data to the analytics provides regarding the pre-screened of the AMP projects.
- The implementation of AMP is bit complex so it can be an issue for you in case you are not well familiar with the process.
- Third party JS and external style sheet is not allowed to use.
- It limits the monetization opportunity as all kind of ads format are not supported by AMP pages.
- In order to enhance the page speed, the non-essential design is stripped down by AMP.
Already mentioned that Analytics tag can be inserted into the AMP pages and in case you are not using the Google analytics then AMP analytics is the stuff to look for. The analytics in AMP is pretty intelligent that prevent the sites from slowing down even after using multiple analytics. The concept used here is measure once and report to as many as possible. There are mainly two ways to activate analytics functionality in the AMP website. And these are:
The AMP Pixel element: This is the basic analytics tag normally used to count the page views. Numerous variables can be passed through it for example DOCUMENT_REFERRER and the title.
The AMP-Analytics extended component: This is the advanced one which allows a great level of configuration in order to allow more analytics interaction.
How to get started with AMP in WordPress
If you have a WordPress website and you want to implement AMP, then do not worry at all as the process is much simple and you can do it just by following some easy steps. A plugin is available in this purpose which makes things easier, however all WordPress theme are not fully compatible right now with AMP, so it is advised to check their compatibility first.
Also if you are planning to implement AMP, then this is the right time as Google is currently pushing and promoting AMP, so things will take lesser time than normally it takes. In general it takes for Google few days to index your website before it starts showing in the search results.
Follow here the step by step process to install AMP in your WordPress website.
Step 1: An official plugin named AMP has been developed for AMP so what you need to do is just type AMP in the plugin search box and it will be available to you. Download the ZIP file.
Step 2: Next install it in your WordPress website just like other plugin and then activate it.
Step 3: You need to install another plugin along with that named ‘Glue for Yoast SEO & AMP’. So, search for the same in the plugin search box and activate that one too after installing in your WordPress website.
Now the question might arise that why multiple plugins? Well, while the AMP plugin is for AMP functionality, in order to have more control over the design things, you are suggested to go for Glue plugin which comes packed with some sets of design options.
Step 4: Now as you have installed those plugin, go to the SEO menu in the left side that will allow you to configure styling. Select the AMP option next. Also you need to select the appropriate tab for design, style and the analytics option.
Step 5: You can get Google Analytics to work on AMP site but to activate that go to the main menu>mobile format and click on analytics to add the Google analytics information in AMP site.
Now once you are done with the set up process, Google takes normally 4-5 days to index the new content which can be verified through the Google webmaster tool.
Responsive design Vs. AMP
These days people are more inclined to check the internet through their Smartphone or tablet, so it is becoming imperative for the developers to coming out with a website that can perform really well in the mobile platform. Because, page loading time is a vital factor that can draw and retain more of the visitors in the website while if it takes a bit longer to open any website, visitors will not wait for a single moment and will exit from the website right then.
- Responsive web design is a method of creating powerful website that can be accessed in every device with ease while the AMP is a striking web framework that aims to deliver quality content to the users at the highest speed possible.
- Both work on mobile device efficiently but their purpose is completely different.
- Entire re-designing of a website is needed when you want to implement responsive web design but when it is about implementing the AMP, nothing like that is to be done.
Who should make modification due to AMP
While Facebook and Apple came out with their own versions to make content highly and more easily accessible Google too is not far from that step as they have introduced the latest AMP project which changes the way mobile content is being consumed by the visitors. The main aim of Google’s Accelerated Mobile pages is to optimize the mobile web performance to deliver high quality content at the fastest speed. Now if you are thinking that if you should go for adopting this new strategy then it depends completely on the type of business you are into. In case the main job is to publishing content, then implementing AMP can be helpful to you. However here are some cases to consider.
- In case you are in a niche market having less competition then it is worth considering going for content optimization for mobile platform.
- If you are a big publishers and already following some strategy for providing the best mobile user experience, then you can go for some adjustments in the strategy.
- And finally if your site has heavy traffic and you desire to check the mobile user experience strategy by implementing AMP.
So, this is the full Accelerated Mobile pages tutorial which has covered almost every needed part and you must have understood what this is actually and how and who can be benefitted from this project. Finally it can be said that getting started with AMP is a very good idea which can bring you lots of advantages in the business. This article also mentioned the detail step by step process to get started with AMP in your WordPress site, so if you have decided to go for it, then just follow the mentioned steps and you will be all set to receive a very satisfying result.